Browns Send Blunt Message to Myles Garrett After Signing Him to Record Contract

   

The Cleveland Browns have long held the short end of the stick in their relationship with defensive end Myles Garrett, but not so much anymore. NFL Sunday: Myles Garrett emerging as a star; Cowboys D defunct?

Garrett was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2023 and has been among the best and most disruptive pass rushers in the league since the franchise drafted him No. 1 overall back in 2017. However, since making that selection Cleveland has been among the worst teams in the league, posting just two winning seasons and earning trips to the playoffs on just two occasions (1-2 postseason record in that stretch).

Garrett had public perception on his side when he demanded a trade from the Browns earlier this offseason, if not actual negotiating leverage, because he was the top performer on a team that has been perennially dismal. The star defensive end kept up his push for an exit out of Cleveland for weeks before caving and accepting a four-year contract extension worth $160 million total, which made him the highest-paid player at his position in NFL history. 

Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett (95) reacts in a 2024 AFC wild card game against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium.

While Garrett had pushed winning as his priority and initially refused to negotiate a new contract in Cleveland, the narrative switched somewhat after he signed the deal, as media members and fans became able to argue that Garrett's primary motivation was, in fact, financial. 

Then, in mid-March, Jason Lloyd of The Athletic authored some reporting that shed a specifically damning light on Garrett's work ethic and practice behaviors.   

"It’s well known within the Browns that Garrett is frequently late to the facility. He has skipped mandatory team activities on multiple occasions," Lloyd wrote. "Veterans typically police the locker room on those types of things and create the culture of accountability, but here, it’s the best player breaking the rules. That has to change now."

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam spoke with media members this week and was unusually candid in several ways, most namely by characterizing the acquisition of QB Deshaun Watson as a "swing-and-miss." However, he also spoke candidly about Garrett and what the organization expects from its 29-year-old star moving forward.

"What we’ve challenged Myles on is -- by his practice habits, by his actions, etc. -- to become a real leader of the team,” Haslam told Cleveland.com. "And he has said he’d do that, and we’re hopeful that he will be."

Garrett finished last season with 22 tackles for loss and 14 sacks. For his career, Garrett has produced 116 tackles for loss and 102.5 sacks.